December 1-2, 2022 (MS Teams)
Deadline: August 31, 2022
Department of English and American Studies at Maria Curie-Sklodowska University in Lublin and Department of American Literature and Culture at The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin are pleased to announce the third ExRe(y) conference. A two-day international conference “ExπRE: Going Off in Post-Millennial North-American Literature and Culture” will be held online on December 1-2, 2022.
We invite proposals for papers and panels that focus on the topic of the (broadly understood) expiration and waning in American and Canadian literature and culture of the last two decades.
Topics may include, but are not limited to the following:
- time and passing
- ends and resolutions (break-ups, disintegration, cliffhangers, happy endings, closure, points ofno return)
- illness, aging, death
- end-of-the-world narratives/scenarios
- regress, ruin, decay
- waning, fading, and effacement (of hopes, memories, scars, power, confidence, narratives, boundaries, divisions)
- failure and disappointment
- trends and fashion
- validity, legal status, rights
- trash, debris, and the poetics of waste
- things that go off (food, alarms, bombs)
- adaptations, remakes, golden oldies, Netflix cancellations
- the many faces of π (irrationality, transcendence, infinity, bye-bye, Miss American Pie)
Confirmed plenary speakers:
Prof. Caren Irr (Brandeis University, Waltham, MA, USA)
Prof. Aneta Dybska (University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland)
For the conference publication we are pleased to announce a special issue of a peer-reviewed open access academic journal Roczniki Humanistyczne (2024), indexed, among others, in Web of Science, ERIH Plus, and Scopus.
Titled abstracts of up to 250 words should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 August 2022. All submissions must include a 100-word biographical statement.
The conference will be held online via MS Teams. The conference fee is 150PLN/35€.
Further information is available on the conference website at www.exrey.umcs.lublin.pl.