The University of Bremen is offering a full-time position at the postdoctoral level in English-Speaking Cultures/English in the Faculty of Linguistics & Literary Studies (Faculty 10) at the earliest possible date, subject to the confirmation of the position, for a
Lecturer with tenure track to Senior Lecturer (m/f/d)
reference no. LK284/22
in the field of
Blue Humanities: Cultural Studies of the English-Speaking World.
Deadline: July 29, 2022
The Faculty of Linguistics & Literary Studies subscribes to a modern understanding of philology, which includes the transfer (in teaching and research) between the philological sub-disciplines and a strong focus on interdisciplinarity. We are looking for an early-career researcher in the early post-doc phase (m/f/d) with competencies in British, North American or postcolonial cultural studies, with particular attention to the innovative thematic focus of Blue Humanities. The shift in perspective from land to sea undertaken in the Blue Humanities allows for a deep engagement with topics discussed in English-speaking Cultural Studies/Cultural Histories such as global expansion and colonization, Black Atlantic and Black Pacific, concentrating on cultural, social, economic, and linguistic interrelationships in the matrix of power and resistance as well as on the workings of intersectional inequalities in the formation and transformation of knowledge. Expertise should be demonstrated in one of the following areas or a comparable topic area: shipping routes as global, historical, cultural, social, economic, linguistic, literary, and knowledge-circulating pathways; climate change and ecological development; flight and migration; Indigenous and local marine cultures and epistemes.
The tenure-track phase serves to broaden the range of qualifications. Within this framework, it offers opportunities for the independent development of a profile in the Blue Humanities.
Your tasks and responsibilities:
- Independent, research-based teaching in the Bachelor’s and Master’s programs “English-Speaking Cultures/English” with a focus on cultural studies;
- Development of disciplinary and interdisciplinary teaching concepts in the abovementioned field, including a focus on cultural studies and cultural history within the Blue Humanities;
- Coordination of course planning in the field of Cultural Studies;
- Collaboration in the continual advancement of the English-language BA/MA and teacher training programs and the development of innovative teaching formats for the field; consideration of the interlocking of issues relevant to the field with topics in literature and linguistics, possibly also with reference the school context;
- Research (publication activities, organization of conferences/workshops, active participation in the acquisition of third-party funding) with the aim of expanding organizational responsibility in the field;
- Cooperation in research, teaching and transfer in cross-disciplinary contexts (particularly within English-Speaking Cultures, the Bremen collaborative research platform „Worlds of Contradiction“ and, for example, MARUM, the German Maritime Museum Bremerhaven and the Bremen Overseas Museum);
- Participation in academic self-administration, including module development and administration.
Your qualifications (hiring requirements):
- Above-average university degree (usually Master’s degree in English/American Studies or a teaching degree in English, or a comparable qualification);
- Recent doctorate with above-average grades with a recognizable or connectable thematic focus in the abovementioned field;
- Several years of broad experience in teaching courses relevant to the field;
- Language competence in German on B2 level (CEFR; to be proven at the latest at the opening of the tenure procedure after three years);
- Language competence in English at C2 level (CEFR);
- Media and presentation skills for teaching in higher education.
The appointment is initially limited to four years (pay group 14 TV-L). The fixed term is in accordance with § 2 para. 1 WissZeitVG (“Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz”, the legal framework for fixed-term contracts in the academic sector). Accordingly, only applicants who still have qualification time according to § 2 para. 1 WissZeitVG can be considered. In the case of proof of outstanding suitability, performance and ability, the tenured position of Senior Lecturer (f/m/d) can be assigned (pay group 15 TV-L) after successfully passing an evaluation. The duties in research and research-based teaching are carried out independently within the framework of the Bremen Higher Education Act (§24 Para. 2). The teaching duties are governed in detail by the ordinance on teaching duties, and comprise eight teaching hours per week per semester as Lecturer and twelve teaching hours as Senior Lecturer.
Questions about this job opening can be addressed to the Dean of the Faculty, Prof. Dr. Marcus Callies, at dekan10uni-bremen.de.
The University of Bremen aims to increase the proportion of women in academic fields. It has received a number of awards for promoting gender equality and is certified as a family-friendly university. Women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply. Applications from people with a migration background as well as international applications are especially welcomed. Applicants with disabilities will be given priority if they have essentially the same professional qualifications and personal aptitude.
Please send your application with the usual documents (CV, publication list, teaching portfolio and copies of certificates/diplomas) with the abovementioned reference number by July 29th,2022 to the following address:
– Verwaltung –
Postfach 33 04 40
Please only submit copies of your application documents (no folders) as we will not be able to return them. Your documents will be destroyed upon completion of the selection procedure.